What's Hot!

Oct 29, 2011

Cranberry Apple Streusel Pie


There's snow EVERYWHERE...but here, it's just nasty outside with cold rain and wind. All this left me no choice but to get baking. I was in the mood for something warm, fruity, and doughy. Bad, I know, but the carbs are relatively low for a dessert and the real enemy, sugar, is all splenda. Today is my 'cheat' day where I allow myself to be a little more loose with my diet. I disciplined my diet all week for this treat, so I'm okay with the extra carbs. The secret weapon here is the low-carb pie crust and unsweetened, dried cranberries. Takes a little time in the kitchen but it's so worth it!

Adapted from Pampered Chef
For Pie Crust:

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups almond flour
  • 3 tbsp light butter, melted (in pie pan if possible)
  • 3 tbsp splenda
Directions:
  • Melt the butter in your pie pan if possible. Mix all the ingredients in the pan, patting into place with fingertips.
  • Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until crust begins to brown. Once it begins to brown, it browns quickly, so I check at 8 minutes and monitor. When baked, set aside.
For Streusel Pie:

Streusel Topping Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup splenda brown sugar
  • 3 tbsp light butter, cold
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Fruit Filling Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup splenda
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup dried, unsweetened cranberries
  • 2 tsp orange zest
  • 7-8 baking apples (about 2 lbs.) Cored and diced into chunks (I used gala, braeburn, and granny smith)
Directions:

Streusel
  • Combine flour and brown sugar. Then cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in walnuts and set aside.

Fruit Filling
  • Combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add cranberries and orange zest and mix well. Add chunked apples to mixture, tossing until evenly coated.

  • Spoon apple mixture into crust and sprinkle evenly with streusel.
  • Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes until apples are tender and streusel is golden brown. Cool at least 2 hours before serving. Yummo!

1 comment:

  1. You have a lot of great recipes here! But, I notice you use a lot of Splenda. Splenda is not good for you, consider using Stevia or Xylitol. My favorite brand of Stevia is Kal, but a lot of people use NuNaturals too. Just a suggestion :)

    ReplyDelete